Thursday, March 26

Geico Platinum Mastercard Reduces Credit Lines



I've recently joined the group of folks who have had their credit negatively impacted by a credit card company that indiscriminately reduces credit lines. Geico Platinum Mastercard notified me that they were reducing my credit card line of credit significantly, down to the balance that I had carried on the account. How can this effect ones credit negatively?

A large part of ones credit score is determined by the amount of credit available. Earlier this month, I had a $10,000 limit on this card. If I carried a $1,000 balance, then I had 90% of my credit line available. When the credit limit is reduced, in this case to $1000, the available credit is now $0, making it appear as though I've 'maxed out' my credit line.

When the credit bureaus receive my balance information showing that I now have a $1000 balance on a $1000 credit line, my credit score will be recalculated and will likely drop significantly, for no fault of my own.

How can the credit card companies do this? I have made all of my payments on time, never late, never missed. Managed my account with stellar diligence. Still, I run the risk, again by no fault of my own, that my credit score will suffer. If my score drops, I run the risk of paying higher interest rates for future credit needs. You would think that there would be a law against this!

Read you account agreements carefully. There is almost always a clause that gives the card company the right to reduce or cancel the credit line at their discretion, regardless of your payment history.

What's the solution? I called Geico Platimum Mastercard and asked that they reconsider. They acknowledged that I had always paid my account better than agreed, but that there wasn't anything that they could (or would) do. Because it was a corporate business decision, they could not increase the line so that I would have only 50% utilization, nor would they reduce the APR on the account. My options were very limited.

I could; (1) decide not to pay them, or (2) pay off the balance in full. Fortunately, I was in the financial position that I could chose option 2. In addition, I will be looking for a new insurance company to handle my motor vehicle insurance needs. Note: I did not close the account because I want to keep my available credit lines open in order to preserve my credit rating.

Have you had this happen to you? What did you do?




Get your FICO Score with Score Power

Hire Me Direct



1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

Same thing here; just got a letter from Geico Mastercard and they reduced my credit limit from $3,000 to $500 -- I currently had a zero balance.